Saturday, 10 January 2009

Kaleo Ministry- Happy 2009... life is pretty much already an emotional rollercoaster

Hello Friends, Family and fellow followers of this blog! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I hope you all had a wonderful christmas. Mine was interesting for sure, but life is interesting, so why not take it as it comes eh?! I really enjoyed seeing my family (mark and the parents), seeing a few friends, and just enjoying the very white cold winter that we were blessed with. Of course there were some difficulties, considering we were driving everywhere in some messy conditions with a small honda civic, but every day there was something new to do. A few highlights were : working with Josie for a day as a caterer, spending deep times with Josie, driving with the parents, laughing with the family, playing games, eating random meals, making a new friend in Nanaimo, finding an amazing church there with a sermon that totally hit me, going tobogganing, and skiing with My bro, Dad and Garrett. 
(-by the way sit back and get comfortable, this is a long one:D)

So as you all know, I am back at school, I got here on the 4th around 6 pm at night. My family was kind enough to drive me home in the snow, thankfully they got home safe back to our house on the island. Lol im crazy, and I know my Dad loves it lol. 

So here is just some amazing things that have been happening this week:

This week has been amazing with my roomies. I have really enjoyed talking to them. We have had quite the conversations, and I just really enjoy being able to tell them about things and vice versa. On top of that we have been playing card games, laughing so much, giving each other words of wisdom, working together on a group paper for Theology of Mission (the class that went on this week), and having some sister fun "tussels" before bed. Lol when your rooming with me, of course there is going to be fake wrestling lol. 

Class has been very interesting and a bit frustrating. I loved learning about missions so much, and you could tell that our teacher really knew what he was talking about as he backed it up with biblical verses. I really appreciated being able to confront him with all sorts of questions on faith, people who haven't heard the good news, and Old Testament and New Testament times. However I did have a few tears this last class. It really hit me hard how life isn't fair, and how we as followers of Christ need to take it upon ourselves to be an example for him. We can't shy away at all, it is a very serious unending task to live our lives as best we can in relation to Jesus Christ. I can't shy away from telling the gospel to anyone who asks or is willing to listen. It is a gift that humans need to take, and keep, yet pass it on to someone else. All in all, I learned a lot about Short and Long Term Missions, missionaries, and everything in between. It was so necessary for me to get this class this year! On top of that we watched as extra curricular the movie Sometimes in April. A movie about the genocide in Rwanda in 1994. That again hit me hard and provided an opportunity for more tears to fall. Thankfully, they are educated tears, and hopefully my new understanding of missions will increase Gods continuous work in my life to do his will! 

Another praise factor this week...YOUTH GROUP WAS AMAZING! God blessed me so much. I was talking to Miranda half way through the week, and just suddenly wanted to start reading my bible, because my mum had been telling me that reading her bible every day was her new years resolution. It couldn't get out of my head. So, as I was talking to Miranda about reading the bible, she said I should read the book of Job. At first I didn't really consider that it was going to be the book I would end up reading, but sure enough I opened it and instantly was locked in. I can tell you that I have been reading my bible every night for 4 days, I know it seems little, but this is kind of unheard of for me:D Anyways, I have been reading Job daily, a few chapters a night, and just started taking notes on it the other day. I also have gone up to a leader here and asked for Commentaries and books on Job from the library so I can really dig into this book. I really want to suck this book as dry as I can at this time in my life. However I know every time I come back to this book in the future ill understand things I didn't before, and I will feel different feelings too. None the less it is amazing.

(Don't worry this is going to get to the youth group ...it all ties in!)
So, in chapel the other day, Jim wanted us to praise God, and I mentioned that I was finally reading my bible on my own time. I had an example from my mum playing through my head, my new friend Garrett had been talking all week about me needing to read the bible, and Miranda suggested that book. I told them I was just so encouraged and very passionate about this new start for me. Later in chapel Shannon talked, and during her little praise she told me that she had also been reading Job. So now I have someone to talk about this book with and encourage each other with. I was very excited that God blessed me with this information, as I didn't intend in talking during chapel at all.

(okay it all ties in here is the youth group part...) Sooo...long story I know sorry! So this week our youth leader asked if Ben or I wanted to lead devotional. I knew that my feelings before opening the book of Job were to never lead bible study again, I hated it, and found it very nerve racking and just something I don't feel inclined to do. Anyways, I knew right away after receiving the email from our youth leader that I was supposed to do the devotional this week. I drew up my passion for the book of Job, and out came a devotional for this friday. Here is a point form of what we generally talked about:
-talked about christmas and gifts recieved
-talked about Job and all the gifts/items he had in life/read passage from the bible
-talked about God allowing Job's possessions to be taken away.
-who Job still focused on and praise
-how we should focus on God when we experience the good and the bad in life. How material possessions are not as important as this world makes them to be. 
-told them some self experiences in life (our house getting broken into, my dad loosing his job, having to sell our house, having my friend be hit by a taxi and die) 
-told them about the ultimate gift we were given that will never go away even when everyting else does

-and challanged them to give smth up for a time and see what it feels like to have smth gone

All and all, IT WAS ALL GOD!
God totally blessed me, I needed that. I know it was for the youth, but I was also encouraged by it. Many of the kids came up to me and said they really enjoyed the devotional, and both youth leaders said good job and amen. THANK YOU GOD SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME!
IT WAS ALL GOD! I know for a fact that the bible study wouldn't have gone so smoothly without him. I remember praying all friday because I was so nervous, getting some Kaleo people to pray as I left out the door for youth, and saying a little prayer as all the kids were getting ready to listen. WOW OH WOW!

Anyways I am so sorry this was such a long entry, I am sure you had 12 cups of coffee between this paper, but I couldn't stop.

Prayer requests:
-Pray that I stay dedicated in my bible time with God. 
-Pray that I stay dedicated in praying for missions around the world for a month
-Pray for the message to impact the kids at youth group
-Pray for my future, I am beginning to be praying about it...I should have trusted it over to God a long time ago.
-Pray for a few friends that are experiencing some trouble
-Pray for organization for this year, and a strict dedication to the last 4 months
-Pray that I continually do a bit of working out each day:D 
-Pray for the Vancouver missions trip approaching in March. 

Thank you so much for all your prayers, and continuous interest in my life.
Send any and all emails my way.

Keep Smiling!
Love Debb!

No comments: