Epic Mission - Part Cà off to Copper Island!
Day fourteen [march 21, 2009]
-funny story: so it’s the morning before we jump on the boat, and guess who happens to walk into the church at 7:30 in the morning. An optometrist and his crew setting up for the monthly practice, where people get their eye checks, buy glasses, contacts etc. I happened to need my eye check before I turned 19 which is in a few days because my health insurance will only cover it until I am 19. So I say to them…can I ask a crazy question, explain to them about my health insurance and ask if they have an free spots for me to jump in and get an eye check up! Well guess what! Of course they do because they are an hour early because they thought their would be a snow storm trying to come out here, and bam I got a very important eye check that I needed RIGHT IN THE CHURCH WE WERE STAYING AT! What are the chances?! GOD IS GOOD!
-boat ride to copper island and hour and a bit…it was a bit bumpy (to be expected) but the scenery was just amazing!
-were so cold, and the camp buildings were freezing too because no one was there so that was a bit horrible I am not going to lie.
-had a tour around the camp on copper island after lunch, after that I went straight to bed until supper because I was yet again sick! (the other three went out with Aaron on the boat and went crab fishing).
-supper was a good time of stories and such…had a devo at the end.
-it was pretty sweet falling asleep, because it was so dark that I couldn’t see my hand right in front of my face! Haven’t had that experience in awhile! The house we were sleeping in was a bit old and sketch filled with spiders and mice, but thankfully they didn’t visit us.
Day fifteen
-Woke up and had breakfast with Kylie. Malayne kept sleeping (she didn’t sleep much that night), and Aaron and Aaron were out fishing. –would have liked to have gone fishing but I was still sick.
-Met Bob Jerry and Rod , the people we were going to work with on the camp. Bob was a wood worker, Jerry and Rod were electricians (wiring the new worship center for the camp). These three guys were a lot of fun. They were all 40-60’s and I had a blast sitting around the table eating and joking with them, talking about God with them, about scripture, and working with them. It was an awesome time.
-Aaron Kylie and I went with Aaron to prawn and crab fish. PRAWNS ARE SO FREAKY AND SHARP! But it was a lot of fun and a lot of screaming. I ate a prawn straight out of the ocean!
-got back from that and scraped barnacles off of a boat.
-helped Bob with his boat engine.
-played some basketball with Malayne and Aaron.
-Talked to Jerry about China.
-Had a huge dinner (fajitas, crab and prawns. I ended up eating a spoonful of prawn eggs which was kinda gross!!!)
-had a meeting about what we were going to do for the next two days, and then had a talk about faith without works and such. It was so amazing to hear these men bringing firm theological thoughts to the table, and just watching the conversation was amazing. I really appreciated what I saw, heard, and just had so much to take in…it felt like these men were mentoring us! (I have a few good notes from them in my journal!)
Day sixteen
-Kylie and I helped Bob cut wowod logs with the wood mizer (band saw). Taking huge strips and putting them into different piles, staking the bad pieces, sweeping the sawdust, shoveling the sawdust and just working hardJ I even got to run the massive machine for a bit!
-at lunch a prank was pulled on me, where Aaron the leader threw a moth into the bathroom, I FREAKED out and ran out of that bathroom (thankgoodness I was washing my hands and done all that I needed to do in there!).
-Aaron found me the last Dr. Pepper on the island and gave that to me just so I wouldn’t prank him back, the funny thing was he was thinking about it forever after he did the prank to me and was worried I would get him back even worse!
- worked until 6, had amazing stew and stories to fill the evening.
-Rod scared us as we were heading to our house to go to bed. It was pretty funny.
-funny moment…I was throwing food into the ocean from the food buckets. As I was doing so and cleaning them out with some ocean water, I didn’t realize a wave was coming into shore, and the wave went over top of my rubber boots and got my socks and legs all wet…it was pretty funny …I couldn’t stop laughing at my stupidity!
Day Seventeen
-cleaned up the bathrooms after breakfast.
-Helped Bob with the same cutting of wood logs until lunch (by the way Malayne was working at cleaning the Kitchen with our leader Aaron, and Aaron D. for one day was helping with electrical, and the other day he got sickL ).
-After lunch we got to use the edging machine, and I was privileged to have the buff bicep job. I would take the planks that were freshly cut off the machine and stack them on a wall not to far away…however the size of some of the planks were pretty huge and heavy! I loved working like that! It was awesome! Kylie took the junk pieces of wood from the edger and made a massive pile of wood to be burnt.
-it was nice to know that Bob said that Kylie and I were the best women to ever work with him and that he doesn’t just say that to be nice..so that was quite the compliment!
-after the work day I took some pics of camp, and then went on a adventure with Malayne…where we explored camp, climbing up rocks, rivers, hills, over beaches, swinging on rope swings, and seeing massive uplifted roots and trees.
-Dinner was a blast yet again, with jokes this time (I even told a few), chilling by the fire, and even the guys had a good chuckle at making me jump with fright.
-De-brief with Aaron about the week on Ucluelet and Copper Island.
Day eighteen
-had our last meal with Bob, Rod and Jerry. Said our goodbyes, took pics, cleaned up some of the camp one last time, and had a bumpy yet beautiful sunny boat ride back to Ucluelet.
-Met Jim, and went to Tofino to have lunch and then went surfing! It was cold but awesome!
-Got a sweet toque at a thrift store for 2 dollars.
-lots of laughs on the drive home.
-met the New York team back at camp.
-unpacked and fell asleep.
The whole trip was amazing. Thank you God for all the experiences for the past 18 days! Thank you for all the people we met!
Thank you everyone for your prayers. I am finally up to date on my blogs! Tomorrow we are spending the day hearing everyone’s stories from their trips, and then back to my youth group that night!
Class with Cal starts Monday. Mum and Dad know who he is which is pretty cool! Seems like lots of my profs know someone in my family! Please pray that I get all my reading done for class, and that class goes well.
Also could you pray for the last three weeks of kaleo, that they run smoothly, drama free, and just are full with the love and focus of Christ!
Thanks
Love as always, and keep smiling!
Deborah!
-FISH-
No comments:
Post a Comment